Egg whites have a special place in the renal diet as they are a rare combination of protein and low-phosphorus content. Makes 4 portions.
Try the variations below:
- Custard with substitution of garlic and herb cream cheese with spinach and/or broccoli filling, no garnish
- Custard with substitution of dill cream cheese and 1 slice chopped smoked salmon, brush the cooked quicke with melted butter and garnish with poppy or sesame seeds
- A filling of two tbs finely chopped bacon, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, pickled red pepper, fried onions, garnished with 2 tbs finely grated cheddar (optional)
- A filling of five sauteed mushrooms, finely chopped, garnished with 2 tbs finely grated Swiss cheese or Jarlsberg
- A filling of one sauteed asparagus, finely chopped, onions, garnished with 2 tbs finely grated Swiss cheese or Jarlsberg